Follow Us

Vaporizer explodes in man’s mouth

A vaporizer explodes in an Omaha man’s mouth, causing lots of damage

An Omaha man says he’ll never touch a vapor cigarette again after a faulty battery in the vaporizer exploded in his mouth.

Much like the exploding batteries in some hoverboards and Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7, batteries in electronic cigarettes and vaporizers have been known to do the same thing.

Mike Rose was 18 years old when the unthinkable happened just over a year ago.

“It was very similar to the explosions, the way they make it in video games or in Hollywood,” he said.

He was riding in a car with a friend when he decided to take a hit from his friend’s EHPro vaporizer.

It exploded, burning his face, knocking out several teeth and breaking the roof of his mouth.

“There was quite a bit of blood, but also some ash burned into the skin. It was black and bloody,” he said.

Karen is Mike’s mom. She remembers seeing her son in the emergency room, and has been there for the multiple surgeries that have followed an expensive reconstructive process.

After maxing out their health insurance funds, the Roses are now paying for everything out of pocket.

“We were not able to sue the company because they were in China. We weren’t able to go after the shop for a settlement, because as he said, it was his friend’s vape,” said Karen.

Mike says he still has another surgery left to get permanent teeth placed.

If you’d like to help out with expenses, the family has set up a GoFundMe account.

We spoke with the CEO of the Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association about these explosions. He says they are becoming less common after the FDA passed new, stricter rules.

Also, if you use a vaporizer, you can reduce the chances of explosions by making sure your battery and charger are compatible.

Laurann Robinson/KETV7