A Texas mom of three says that her vaping habit was to blame for a mysterious lung illness that left her in a coma.
Sherie Canada of Abilene took to social media after a 24-day hospital stint to warn others that e-cigarettes “nearly killed” her.
“You have no idea of how precious [your lungs] are until they aren’t yours anymore and a machine is telling them to breath [sic] for you,” she wrote in Sept. 6 post on Facebook.
The mom of three revealed that she started using e-cigarettes three years ago after getting hooked on the flavors.
“You don’t think about it. Everyone else is doing it,” Canada told news station KWTX.
But around two months ago, she began to experience weight loss, had difficulty breathing and developed a cough.
As her health continued to deteriorate, she went to the emergency room, where fluid and blood clots were found in her lungs.
“I was so scared but more than anything [I was] in so much pain. I was fighting for days already and so tired!” she wrote on Facebook.
She was placed on a medically induced coma on June 18, six days after she was admitted to the hospital.
“When I woke up and one of the doctors told me how bad the vaping was,” Canada wrote on Facebook.
Though she has made a recovery, she said she felt “shame” due to the preventable medical episode.
“I was sent to the ICU on my middle son’s 13th birthday and intubated on my 15-year-old son’s birthday,” Canada told KWTX. “I felt a lot of guilt and shame. I did this to myself.”
Canada said she’s now using the experience to inform others about the dangers of vaping.
“I asked for everyone’s forgiveness for putting them through this pain as well and [I am] just glad to be here today to share my story and my testimony,” she wrote on Facebook.
Canada’s post comes as at least six people have died across the county from vaping-related illness and more than 450 people have been hospitalized.
Jackie Salo/NY Post