A man in Hawaii says he lost four teeth and will need surgery after his e-cigarette exploded in his mouth.
Matt Yamashita said he was headed to play basketball at Palisades Park in Pearl City, Hawaii, when he decided to take a drag on his CoilART Mage before heading inside.
“As soon as I took that first rip, it just blew up in my face,” he told WNEM. “My right hand was burning, it was black.”
Yamashita told the outlet that he had bought the electronic cigarette online six months ago, but didn’t start using it until last week. He said he had used it on two different occasions before it exploded.
“I just heard loud ringing in both my ears and I just saw a flash. Then I was spitting out blood and I was just in shock,” he said.
Yamashita lost several of his teeth and needed 40 stitches in his mouth. The 25-year-old told the outlet he will have to undergo surgery to have dental implants installed.
Parts of the charred e-cigarette were reportedly found on a nearby fence and scattered across the ground.
“I’m just really thankful, first of all, and blessed to be alive and to be able to see and taste,” Yamashita said.
It’s not clear what led to the explosion. CoilART Mage has not returned the Daily News request for comment.