WEST DES MOINES, Iowa (KCCI) — A man was taken to the hospital Wednesday afternoon following an e-cigarette explosion, West Des Moines fire officials said.
West Des Moines Fire Marshal Mike Whitsell told KCCI that authorities received a call around 3:30 p.m. for reports of a burn victim at the Sun Prairie Apartments.
Fire officials said the man was sitting on his couch and talking on the phone when the e-cigarette blew up in his pocket, which he described as a roman candle going off.
The victim tried to pull it out of his pocket. He threw his pants with the burning e-cigarette into the hallway, and the batteries kept burning and melted the carpet.
The second floor was filled with smoke, and a maintenance worker was able to put the flames out.
The victim was taken to a Des Moines-area hospital with significant burns. West Des Moines fire officials said the investigation is ongoing.
They also remind e-cigarette users to do their research and see if there are any recalls or reports of other fires associated with the brand.