The woman was hurt Monday afternoon at a vape shop in Illinois.
MACHESNEY PARK, IL — A woman suffered a “significant facial injury” after an e-cigarette exploded at The Vape Shop in Machesney Park Monday afternoon, according to WIFR. North Park Fire Chief Joel Hallstrom told the station the woman was rushed to a hospital after a lithium battery inside the e-cigarette exploded and started a small fire inside the shop on Harlem Road.
The case is being handled by the Winnebago County Sheriff’s office, according to WIFR.
The woman’s condition was not known late Monday afternoon.
A reporter for the station said on Twitter that the woman was headed to a hospital after the e-cigarette “blows off” her face.E-cigarette explosions have caused injuries before. Last month, a 38-year-old Florida man died when his vape pen exploded. In 2015, a Joliet man said an e-cigarette went up in flames in his pocket when the battery exploded, causing severe injuries.
Shannon Antinori/Rockford Patch