VIDEOS

Follow Us

Child killed after consuming mother’s vape liquid

An Australian infant died in June after consuming his mother’s liquid nicotine, the Coroners Court heard this week.

The 19-month-old from Melbourne was found with one of his mother’s bottles of liquid in his mouth, AAP reports. He was rushed to hospital but died 11 days later.

The court heard on Monday that the mother was trying to quit smoking, and had bought liquid nicotine from overseas to mix with vape juice.

In Australia, it’s illegal to sell or purchase liquid nicotine, AAP reports. It is unclear what brand of liquid nicotine it was.

It was a “momentary lapse of vigilance” as opposed to the mother neglecting the child, coroner Phillip Byrne said.

The family were devastated by what had happened, he added.

Mark Quinlivan/Newshub